Williams and Boole bought the land that is now Westerleigh in 1887 on behalf of the National Prohibition Party, as a summer retreat. By the following July, the National Prohibition Campground Association built a large camping facility to provide months of productive relaxation to members of the Party and followers of the Prohibition Movement. The camp was named pleasure grove and had ballfields, tennis courts, a lecture platform, a bowling alley, and more.
National Prohibition Park Company donated Westerleigh Park to the City in 1907 with the promise that it would be used for public recreational purpose. Less than twenty years later, the Staten Island Parks Department constructed a large bandstand. Concerts and children’s plays in Westerleigh Park quickly became popular.
Westerleigh Park continues its patriotism with its flagpole and annual Patriotic Sunday honoring Flag Day and Independence Day. A volunteer group called the Friends of Westerleigh Park helps to maintain the thriving parkland.
Westerleigh Park remains Prohibition Park’s only original expansive green space.